Sunday, June 24, 2007

Crushes

Sweet subject. I can relate to the teacher crush thing. Mr. Freeman was my 3rd grade teacher, and I totally know where you're coming from, WCG. I wanted to be his daughter/wife or something, wanted to go live in his house and he would take care of me and stuff.

My first age-appropriate crush was on John Sailing in the 5th grade. He actually became my boyfriend for awhile. We would leave each other notes in our coat pockets, naturally the first note being (and I was the one who asked): "Will you go with me," followed by convenient boxes to check, one marked "yes," one marked "no." I think I may have included a "maybe" in there too, in case he needed to think about it.

It lasted maybe a week or so, until he broke up with me, by note of course, that he had to dump me because too many people were teasing him. Apparently I wasn't the sought-after sexy li'l number then that Catfish thinks I am now.

Here's a fun fact: Whenever that Christopher Cross song came on the radio, I'd get sent into orbit, thinking about John: "Sailing....takes me away, to where I've always heard it could be...." Aaah. Isn't that romantic? See, because Sailing was his last name.

1 comment:

WestCoastGold said...

Great story and great tie in to Christopher Cross!