Monday, June 25, 2007

Missing Winston

As most of you know, I had a dog. Yes 'had' being the operative word. I got Winston as a puppy. 8 weeks old. Bundle of fluff and exciteability. Fell madly in love with him. Then my husband and I decided to divorce. I moved out and took the dog with me. Now the single life has overtook (overtaken?) me. I am constantly gone, always wanting to be gone and never ever have time for the Puppy I fell madly in love with. He was there for me during some hard times. He kept me company and loved me unconditionally. I realized that him being home alone for more than 8 hours every single day was not healthy for him. I was also spending nights away from home (yes, I'm a ho.. whatever, I embrace it) and not coming home until noon the next day. I took some time to think about what I needed to do with my life right now and determined that Winston, being the wonderful little dog he is, deserved better than I could give him. I put an ad on Craigslist. I got over 12 hits in about an hour. I took the ad down and then began the interview process. I found a family that couldn't be more perfect for him, and he for them. This isn't a conventional family in the sense that President Bush would see it. Thank God for that. Lisa and Chelsea (not their real names) are a couple and have a 12 year old boy that they adopted of mixed race and he also has FAA (Fetal Alcohol Affect.) Lisa is a PE teacher, for children with challenges no less. Chelsea is a social worker. They want to train Winston to be a therapy dog to help their son. See, their son sometimes gets into situations where he rages, and they want Winston to be his little 'notifier'. When Winston senses that the boy is having problems, he will go sit by him and comfort him. I am in awe of this family. They also have a 9 year old dog named Mattie (not her real name.. lol) and a cat named Monica. (again, not her real name). They are beautiful people with so much to give, I feel rather overwhelmed that I found them and that Winston gets to live with them for the rest of his life. I am almost of the mind that this all happened for a reason, that I was only supposed to have Winston for a short time, so I could give him to a family like them. Or, perhaps it's all random and it really doesn't mean anything.. but I sort of doubt it.

So, here's to Winston, who gave me so much and now gets to share his love with a family like theirs. I miss ya Pooch.

3 comments:

Anonymous Dog Owner said...

I can't comment......

Anonymous Dog Owner said...

I LOVE the fact that you gave Winston a good home to go to where he will be happy and loved forever. It's so good that you could see what would be the best for him. It also makes me cry to think of giving my babies to someone else. ....a bitter sweet story for me. Mixed emotions I guess.

WestCoastGold said...

Phew.. I was hoping I didn't offend you with my story. Some might think I was a bad dog owner. I guess that's my guilt over giving him away, I couldn't be a good doggie mommy anymore. I miss him, but they just sent me an email. Winston is playing, chasing their cat and he slept in their bed last night!

I did get teary eyed when I posted earlier. Give your dogs some extra lovin from me tonight. :-)